Quieting the Heart is the foundation state. It enriches all other moves.
Move # 1 — Quieting the Heart
(click above title to go to Laughing Heart website Move)
Quieting the Heart is the foundation state. It enriches all other moves. When the Heart becomes quiet, our Mind also settles down. There is a substantial literature suggesting that when the Mind and Body are in a relaxed state, the parasympathetic nervous system rebalances, cortisol and other stress hormones are reduced, and the body’s healing capacity is engaged. There are a great number of popular meditative techniques like mindfulness, and other modalities such as biofeedback, emotional intelligence, and positive psychology that cite their benefits in rebalancing the autonomic nervous system. The practice of Quieting the Heart can be viewed as a welcoming gate for all of them. The unique premise is the claim advanced in the Shen Zheng practice of qigong that the Heart is the “governor” of the Mind, specifically in its “strategic” role as a step-down transformer and receiver of the subtle energy of qi and love. There are no studies based on the standards of evidence-based medicine to confirm or dispute this proposition. It is a fertile area for more rigorous scientific assessment.
- Neuroscience Reveals the Secrets of Meditation’s Benefits
- Where’s the Proof That Mindfulness Meditation Works?
- Now and Zen: How mindfulness can change your brain and improve your health
- A systems approach to stress, stressors and resilience in humans
- Integral Resilience Coaching
- HeartMath training and technology