Resilience and Music
Music can instantly light the fire of resilience as depicted in the marvelous video, Alive Inside.
The idea that music can build resilience has an ancient lineage as familiar to our ancestors as dancing around a communal fire. In modern times the link has become part of the repertory of music therapy, and there is even today a Resilience Alliance of musicians. As explained in Move # 5, training in Integral Resilience recognizes the special role of Heart as a step-down and step-up transformer of subtle energy. This subtle energy is encoded within musical form and an be an especially powerful vitalizing agent, complementing the social dimensions of music highlighted in the literature.
- Sundance Film Festival (2014) – Alive Inside: A Story Of Music & Memory Featurette – Documentary HD
- Resilience Music Alliance
- What is the connection between music and resilience?
- For a practical application of the idea that music assists with resilience the Music and Resilience Project is an excellent place to review. This project seeks, in its own words, to “promote community music and music therapy as best practices for the prevention of social and cultural deprivation and isolation for young Palestinian refugees in Lebanon.”
- The effect of music on biochemical markers and self-perceived stress among first-line nurses: a randomized controlled crossover trial
- Music and Memory and Leadership
Next: The Resilient Negotiator