Resilient Santa Barbara
A New Educational Series on Behavioral Health and Integral Resilience for the Santa Barbara Community
2 1/2-Hour Briefing:
Self-Care Skills for Behavioral Health and Integral Resilience
- Purpose: To explore a New Collaborative Educational Paradigm for Physicians, Patients, Healthcare, and Social Care Providers in Community Behavioral Health and Integral Resilience
- >>1 hour presentation by Steven Hoyt, Owner of San Ysidro Pharmacy and Julian Gresser/CEO/Chairman on Big Heart Technologies
- >>1 1/2 hour group discussion on Creating a New Educational Paradigm for Community-wide Behavioral Health and Resilience
- Meeting Date/Time: Wednesday, June 26, 2019/ 5:30 pm.–8:00 pm.
- Place: Santa Barbara Foundation
Integral Resilience Defined
Integral Resilience is a new frontier of scientific inquiry that is exploring how systems manage stress and learn to transform adversity to advantage. Scientific studies confirm that every major health challenge involves an impairment of resilience, which suggests the converse proposition as well: an increase in resilience may support healing of these conditions. This frontier educational program introduces Integral Resilience as a core life competency and essential self-management skill for meeting the behavioral challenges underlying all these conditions. It integrates science-based practices of mindfulness, emotional intelligence, positive psychology and other disciplines, as well as Easter martial arts, wisdom, and healing traditions.
Resilience Multiplier Effect
Since many of the above conditions are closely linked and display co-morbidity, there is a significant risk of a cascading Negative Multiplier Effect—one unresolved health challenge compounds and potentiates the next. By fortifying Integral Resilience, we create the possibility of the reverse: a Positive Resilience Multiplier, where the benefits of building Integral Resilience in one domain are rapidly transferred to another.
Behavioral Health Applications
Integral Resilience provides a foundation to support positive behavioral changes recommended by physicians and other medical care providers, for the following conditions among many others:
- Pain management
- Bioidentical hormone replacement
- Loneliness and Depression
- Post-operative regeneration
- Early detection and prevention of Alzheimer’s (blog post)
Practitioners have identified a sequence toward development and eventual mastery of Self-Management and Self-Care Skills:
- Health Literacy #1: Understanding of Signs and Symptoms
- Health Literacy #2: Understanding of “optimal states”
- Setting a Baseline #3: Establishing metrics of Integral Resilience and Behavioral Health.
- Self Awareness and Sensitivity #4: Deep Listening
- Self Knowledge #5: Interpreting the Signs and Symptoms
- Skill Development #6: Emotional balancing toward an optimal state
- Empowerment #7: Building Confidence, Vision, Volition, Courage, and Self-Reliance.
- Flow #8: Learning to be free and to “surf” with life’s challenges and obstacles
- Self Care and Acceptance #9: Learning to accept and love your life
Key Behavioral Skills
Play and Ease
Demonstrations: Integral Resilience in 30 seconds!
- Resilience Reflex Ball– http://alliancesfordiscovery.org/resilience-and-the-reflex-ball/
- A Simple Smile (from 5 Minutes to Resilience Series)
- Dylan, “My Back Pages” But I was so much older then, I’m younger than that now!”
Online Resources and Materials
Medical References on Integral Resilience
Please see links on the connection of resilience to diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular illness, obesity, Alzheimer’s, pain management, and other medical conditions at the bottom of the blog, “Healing Communities and the Self-Care Multiplier” https://resiliencemultiplier.com/healing-communities-and-the-self-care-multiplier/
- Online “Living” Book: Laughing Heart—A Field Guide to Exuberant Vitality for All Ages—10 Essential Moves (www.alliancesfordiscovery.org)
- Online “Living” Book Integral Resilience: Helping Communities Thrive (including Codex of applications/www.resiliencemultiplier.com)
- 5 Minutes to Resilience Series (you are invited to follow our proposed program/or design your own using Resilience Codex!) (see blog)
- My Personal Resilience Journey (online course/ https://resiliencemultiplier.com/members/ )
- Self-Management Skills Slides
- Resilience Reflex Ball– http://alliancesfordiscovery.org/resilience-and-the-reflex-ball/For Your Enjoyment: Happiness Meter (fee app: https://www.happimeter.org/) American Psychological Association—The Road to Resilience– https://www.apa.org/helpcenter/road-resilience
Julian Gresser — Chairman/CEO Big Heart Technologies
Julian Gresser is an international attorney, social entrepreneur, professional negotiator, inventor, and recognized expert on Japan. As a negotiator his most dramatic success involved helping a San Francisco-based trading company transform its $8 million after-tax branch into a $1 billion Japanese company in seven years. From 1976-1983 he was twice Visiting Mitsubishi Professor at the Harvard Law School and also taught courses as a Visiting Professor at MIT on the legal issues of strategic industries. He has been a senior adviser to the U.S. State Department during the Carter Administration (where he established the Japan Industrial Policy Group), The World Bank, The Prime Minister’s Office of Japan, The People’s Republic of China, and the European Commission (where he trained the Commission’s Japanese negotiating teams). He is the author of eight books in English and Japanese, including most recently two online “living” books on Big Heart Intelligence (www.alliancesfordiscovery.org) and Integral Resilience (www.resiliencemultiplier.com).
Julian Gresser has also been at the forefront of a number of other fields, in which he has integrated 35 years of Zen practice, (training with Masters Yamada Koun, Robert Aiken, John Tarrant, and Henry Shukman), psycho-physical self-regulation (many years of collaboration with Dr. Elmer Green, Director of the Voluntary Controls Program at the Menninger Foundation and the father of the biofeedback field at) martial arts (judo, aikido, gong fu, and training with qigong Grandmaster Li Junfeng)—all of which has led to his work in discovery engineering and collaborative innovation, strategic alliance mediation, Big Heart Intelligence (www.bighearttechnologies.com), and most recently Integral Resilience (www.resiliencemultiplier.com) with a special application for community health.
Steve Hoyt RPh. – Owner of San Ysidro Pharmacy
Steve Hoyt has been a pharmacist for over 30 years and has been a compounding pharmacist for about 20 years. Having purchased San Ysidro Pharmacy in 2004 he built a Non-Sterile Compounding Lab in 2001 and, in 2009, became the 5th pharmacy in the State of California to become accredited with the Pharmacy Compounding Accreditation Board (PCAB) in 2009. His undergraduate studies in Biochemistry and Pharmacy has given him the training in pharmacy compounding to become very creative in finding therapeutic solutions for certain conditions that don’t exist on the market. His expertise in Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement and Pain Management has also led him in providing booklets and in depth presentations to professionals and patients alike. He has been a member of the International Academy of Compounding Pharmacists (IACP) and the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine.
Steve Hoyt is also a 5th degree Black Belt and an elite Judo competitor, having competed nationally and internationally. Having been an NCAA Bronze medalist, competed in the 1971 Olympic Trials, 5 time Gold Medalist National Masters and 2 time Gold and Bronze World Masters Champion has given him the training and determination to succeed in other areas of his life. He is presently the head judo instructor at University California Santa Barbara (UCSB), coaching athletes on technical skills as well as techniques in mental preparation.